How To Measure
(IT'S NOT HARD)
Measuring for new curtains and new tracks
A Curtain is made to fit a track, not a window
All measurements must be in millimeters - 1cm = 10mm e.g. 100cm = 1000mm
- Work out where you can fit the brackets for the track. Unless you are an experienced installer, you will need timber for the screws on the brackets to screw into.
- Work out how far to either side of the window you wish the track to extend (if at all). Again, remember that you will need to screw the brackets into timber.
- The timber requirements for the bracket will also determine how far above the window you wish to position the track.
- Measure the length of track you require in mm (this will not include finials if your track has finials). This is measurement C.
- Measure from the top of the proposed position of the track (if it is a traditional track) or the bottom of the track (if it is a pole of decorator track) to where you want the curtain to finish. Enter this measurement in mm. This is measurement D (remember that you can install your track first and then fine tune this measurement).
The measurements C & D are critical for us to make your curtains
The following measurements we want to have just so we can check that your measurements fall into the category of "this all makes sense"! If we have questions we will email you.
A outside window frame measurement in mm
B top of window frame to the floor measurement in mmE top of window frame to the base of the cornice measurement in mm
Measuring for new curtains to fit tracks that are already installed
Floors are often uneven
Make sure your desired curtain length won't drag on the floor
Always measure in 3 places – at each end and in the middle
The shortest measurement is the one to use
- Measure the length of the existing track in mm C
- Measure the desired length of the curtain in mm D
- If your track is a traditional curtain track measure (D) from the top of the track to the floor. If you want a shorter curtain then measure to where you wish the curtain to finish plus 10mm
- If your track is a pole type with slides (not rings) measure (D) from the underside of the pole to the floor minus 20mm. If you want a shorter curtain then measure to where you wish the curtain to finish.
- If your track is a rod and ring type measure (D) from the eye of the ring to the floor. If you want a shorter curtain then measure to where you wish the curtain to finish plus 10mm.